Wednesday 16 November 2011

Making the most of life



Hello!

This last week has been really great. I finally feel totally settled and we are having the best time. Last week flew by with lots of shifts at the restaurant and sessions at the gym. I tried Zumba for the first time with Ashley which was pretty hilarious. 

Work is all good now and feel like I'm making some friends, there are a real mix of personalities and nationalities working there. The kitchen staff are also pretty interesting, some funny characters there! The other day I moved some take away boxes in the kitchen and a huge-ass Cockroach landed on my hand! I screamed so loud, which of course the chefs all thought was hilarious, I was not amused. This was my first encounter with a Cockroach and it ended badly for both of us, I was shaken and it was squashed to death by Danny's shoe. Since that occasion I have become a dab hand at stamping on the little devils. Last night I worked in the outside section of the restaurant. Earlier that day the exterminator had been in to blast the place, which makes them all leave their nests. The beasts were everywhere! I counted a death toll of six by my shoe at the end of the night. So rank and even writing about it now makes me feel like they are on me, I dreamed about them and woke James up talking about spotting Spiders and Cockroaches in our room! Hate them!

I usually finish work around 930/10 and come home to find James has made me another yummy dinner. He looks after me well, but I would like to point out at this time that since in Australia I have done all his laundry, ironing and cleaning so I think we're a good team! 

 Last Saturday we were going to head up to Noosa to have our first surf lessons but an unfortunate error in map reading/ general lack of direction from me and James meant that we ended up on the Bruce Highway heading South to Brisbane (exact opposite of where we wanted to be going) this resulted in a tense few moments for me and James as we blamed each other for the mistake (at least I can admit I have a bad sense of direction - James likes to pretend his is fine!). By this point we were never going to make our 9am start time so we turned around and heading to the library to stock up on some books and hit a local beach. We tried Maroochydore Beach for the first time, it was a hot morning but fairly windy so we couldn't quite feel the temperature for what it was. Even though we had our trusty Factor 30 on, and only stayed a few hours, we both spent too long lying on our fronts reading and developed rather red backs. However we didn't realise this until much later, my back had a lovely bow pattern from my bikini top and James morphed into Larry the Lobster. Luckily, mine went brown pretty quick but poor James is still suffering a bit four days on! Another lesson learnt, just because it feels cool, keep reapplying and don't stay in one position too long!

Later that afternoon we met up with Ashley and had a walk along Mooloolaba Beach and hit the Harbour for some fresh catch of the day as the sun went down.

The photos below are mainly taken by James so that explains where there are so many of me! He has become a bit of a photography geek and spends ages fiddling with settings while I stand there posing and waiting. He also wants to get a tripod for some special shutter speed setting, or something?! We went to a shop on Monday to look at some and it took a lot of restraint for me not to burst out laughing as he explained to the man that he 'was just starting to get into photography'. Oh, and one of his books from the library from 'Travel Photography'. What a gorgeous geek! So get ready for lots of photos...







xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment